August 9, 2017 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
New Delhi: As per the media reports emanating from China in which its local media outlets have claimed that the countdown to a military conflict between India and China has begun, while a senior government official in Beijing baited India by suggesting Delhi’s actions could be matched by Chinese soldiers entering Uttarakhand or Kashmir.
During the ongoing monsoon session the Union defence minister Arun Jaitley claimed that the armed forces of India are capable enough to meet any security challenge arising to the country and underlined that lessons have been learnt from the 1962 war with China.
“I agree that some challenges are still there. Some people are targeting our country’s sovereignty and integrity. But I am fully confident that our brave soldiers have capability to keep our country secure, may it be challenges on the eastern border or the western border,” he reportedly said in the Parliament.
On the one hand the defence minister of India is issuing strong statements and trying to maintain the public confidence in the preparedness and capabilities of the armed forces but on the other hand the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi few days back issued a plea for peace with China. He was seen vouching and endorsing the diplomatic channel to resolve the more than one month long military stand off with China in Dokhlam region. The territory is disputed between China and Bhutan where currently India is acting as a third party under a security accord to protect the Himalayan Kingdom.
Arun Jaitley’s comments were followed by the statement made by Chinese official about the possibility of the escalation of the dispute at Sikkim which began in the middle of June.
Media reports suggest that China is firm on its demand that India should unconditionally withdraw its troops if it intends work out an amicable and peaceful way out of this volatile situation. But India’s union minister of foreign affairs Sushma Swaraj last week proposed a gradual withdrawal of troops from the Dokhlam sector to which the Chinese authorities outrightly rejected.
“Even if there is only one Indian soldier, even for a day it is still a violation of our sovereignty and territorial integrity,” said Wang Wenli, a top official with China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in its statement.
“It is impossible to have a dialogue with India at this time. Our people will think our government is incompetent,” Ms Wang added to her statement while addressing the Indian media contingent.
“We think it is not doable for the Indian side to use tri-junction as an excuse,” she alleged.”The Indian side has many tri-junctions. What if we use the same excuse and enter the Kalapani region between China, India and Nepal, or even into the Kashmir region between India and Pakistan?” she retorts.
When questioned by the media about possible armed confrontation with India to which Ms Wang stated that “I can only say that for the PLA (People’s Liberation Army) and for the Chinese government, we have the determination. So, if the Indian side decides to go down the wrong path or still have illusions about this incident, then we have the right to use any act that is in line with the international law to protect our rights.”
Both India and China have said that diplomatic channels are being used to resolve the conflict, notes NDTV.