February 7, 2013 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
Arizona, US (February 6, 2013): In a recent release the Sikh Coalition has welcomed the decision of the Arizona Department of Corrections (ADC) to accommodate Corrections Officer Ikhbinder S. Bassin’s Sikh articles of faith, including his unshorn beard and kara.
“Officer Bassin’s struggle to maintain his job required an aggressive and multi-layered approach by the Sikh Coalition” reads the release.
“Officer Bassin has worked at ADC for almost a decade while maintaining an unshorn beard and wearing a kara. However, in late December 2012, ADC suddenly found him out of compliance with department regulations, which do not permit corrections officers to have beards longer than a ½ inch or to wear bracelets (except medical bracelets). Officer Bassin was told he would be fired if he did not trim his beard or remove his kara within ten days” it reads furhter.
Sikh Coalition Fights For Officer Bassin:
As per information Officer Bassin contacted the Sikh Coalition, who requested that ADC grant him a religious accommodation. ADC, however, denied the request and once again threatened to fire Officer Bassin if he did not comply by January 31, 2013.
According to the Sikh Coalition with a tight deadline, the Sikh NGO aggressively fought for Officer Bassin’s rights by taking the following actions:
* Sikh Coalition attorneys sent detailed legal letters to ADC threatening a lawsuit.
* The Sikh Coalition assisted Officer Bassin in filing a charge of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
* The Sikh Coalition sought intervention from the U.S. Department of Justice.
* The Sikh Coalition engaged the office of an Arizona State Senator.
* The Sikh Coalition consulted with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
* The Sikh Coalition successfully solicited support letters from the Anti-Defamation League, the Arizona Interfaith Movement, and local Sikh leaders and elected officials.
Victory – Accommodation Granted:
As per information on January 31, 2013, under extreme pressure, the ADC agreed to let Officer Bassin keep his job with a full religious accommodation to maintain an unshorn beard and a kara at all times.
The Sikh Coalition would like to thank Arizona Governor Jan Brewer, State Senator Barbara McGuire, the Anti-Defamation League, the Arizona Interfaith Movement, and local Sikh leaders Rana S. Sodhi, Dr. Jaswant S. Sachdev, and Guru Roop Kaur Khalsa for their support.
The Sikh Coalition has urges all Sikhs to practice their faith fearlessly.
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.
Related Topics: Sikh Identity, Sikhs in United States, The Sikh Coalition, United States of America