February 20, 2015 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
New York, NY: An update by the Sikh Coalition says [o]ver the past two weeks, there has been a spike of hate crimes against American Muslims and those perceived to be Muslim. From the possible hate crime murders in Chapel Hill, North Carolina to the vandalism of a Hindu temple in Bothell, Washington, we (the Sikh Coalition) ask the Sikh community to come together and stand with diverse communities in combating hate and bigotry in America.
The US based civil rights body has also urged the Sikh community to remain vigilant about hate crimes and discrimination, to look out for each other, and to report potential hate crimes immediately.
As per update, the Sikh Coalition’s Legal Program has provided free legal aid to Sikhs who have been subjected to hate crimes for the past 13 years.
The Sikh Coalition has prepared a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) guide which gives information on what constitutes a hate crime, hate speech, and how to report incidents to the authorities and to the Sikh Coalition.
A Hate Crime and Hate Speech FAQ Guide by the Sikh Coalition give answers to questions like:
- What is a hate crime?
- What is hate speech?
- I think I was the victim of a hate crime. What do I do?
- I was subjected to hate speech. Should I report?
- What is the federal hate crime law?
- What is the Sikh Coalition’s role in handling hate crimes?
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.