June 21, 2016 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
London: Just days before the European Union (EU) Referendum the United Kingdom (UK) Sikh Survey designed and managed by the Sikh Network has had responses from over 2,500 members of the Sikh community. This shows of those who have decided how to vote 59.9% of Sikhs are in favour of remaining in the EU while 40.1% want to leave.
Many of the Sikhs who have responded to the survey are from London, West Midlands, East Midlands, South East and Yorkshire and Humber regions. There are however regional variations with Sikhs wishing to remain in the EU being 34% ahead in the South East, 30% ahead in the East Midlands, 14% ahead in the West Midlands, 11% ahead in the Yorkshire and Humber and 9% ahead in London region.
Bhai Amrik Singh, Chair of the Sikh Federation (UK) said: “The survey shows a clear majority of Sikhs are in favour of remaining in the EU across the UK. Sikhs traditionally have a very high turnout. In the General Election last May the Sikh turnout was in excess of 75%, some 10% higher than the national average. The survey also shows 70% of those under the age of 30 are in favour of remaining in the EU, compared to 56% of those over the age of 30. In the next few days we will be urging every Sikh registered to turn out and vote on 23 June.”
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.