March 24, 2012 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
Ludhiana, Punjab (March 24, 2012): As per information shared on Facebook Group “The Global Movement for Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana” acknowledges the Sikh Organizations in California, Gurdwara Committee’s, and Sangat that came together in unprecedented numbers to protest the death sentence of Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana.
“Well over a thousand rallied outside the Indian Consulate in San Francisco until 4 pm to voice resistance to the Indian state” Group Member Sarabjit Singh has posted.
He further informed that “Flags, banners, posters celebrating Bhai Rajoana overflowed the Embassy precincts, belittling the Indian governments claims to having defeated the Sikh struggle”. Speakers included representatives of various student organizations, Gurdwara’s across California, and community organizers. The movement, organized by UC Berkeley Sikh Student Federation, raised financial support for Bibi Kamaljit Kaur, sister of Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana, of $4088. This money is to be transferred to her direct account tomorrow, on March 24, 2012.
Four resolutions were passed in the rally:
1. The Akal Takht must take a strong stance in support of Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana – support the passage of a resolution for Bhai Rajoana’s release in the Punjab assembly.
2. The Akal Takht must initiate a call to occupy and march on Patiala Jail immediately; Punjab.
3. Bibi Kamaljit ought to be honored as ‘Panth di Bhein’ and given financial support immediately.
4. Sikhs in the diaspora must start grassroots level networking consisting of community activists, gurdwara committees to create an effective structure to address these issues in the future.
These resolutions have been sent to the Jathedar of the Akal Takht on behalf of Sikh organizations and individuals in attendance. A call was made for a continued struggle in California that rises above party affiliations towards a unified Sikh struggle for freedom.
“In the coming week, the new generation’s Sikh scholars will be presenting, “Chanllanging the State’s right to Kill: Life & Martyrdom of Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana” at UC Berkeley.
The Global Movement for Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana continues with rallies in Europe, North America, and Australia.
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.