April 6, 2013 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
Bristol, Europe (April 05, 2013): The Bristol Branch of the Sikh Federation (UK) organised a meeting with Ashley Fox a Conservative MEP from the South West. The meeting took place at on Tuesday 2nd April 2013 at Sri Guru Nanak Prakash Singh Sabha Gurudwara, Fishpond Road, Bristol. Similar meetings are in the process of being organised with UK MEPs in other parts of the UK.
An 18-page briefing was provided to Ashley Fox and the following topics were discussed:
1. Update on the death penalty in India – the case of Professor Davinderpal Singh Bhullar was specifically discussed as well as other Sikhs who have been in jail for many years without charge or trail.
2. Examples of extra-judicial killings of Sikhs by the Indian police in the last two years.
3. Indian politicians facing criminal charges: true face of Indian democracy.
4. India’s judicial system that has failed the Sikhs.
5. Respect for the Sikh turban and the 5 Ks in the context of mainland Europe – France and Belgium in particular was raised as another human rights concern.
At the end of the meeting a proposal from the Sikh Federation (UK) and its sister organisations across Europe to organise/sponsor a conference in the European Parliament in Brussels on the human rights issues that had been raised was discussed and agreed (see note below).
The Sikh Federation UK (Bristol branch) arranged for representatives from all four Sikh Gurudwara’s in Bristol to attend the meeting. Those who attended the meeting and are pictured with Ashley Fox MEP include, Mohanjit Singh, Manjit Singh, Mukhtyar Singh Khalsa, Jarnail Singh Sandhu, Harbhajan Singh Dulay, Dilawar Singh Potiwal, Harpal Singh Bhakar, Sarbjit Singh Bisla, Raghbir Singh Nirman, Mohinderjit Singh Bhatti, Harbhajan Singh Lit, Satpal Singh Kasba, Tarlochan Singh Bhara, Sukhdev Singh, Giani Sher Singh Paras and Bhai Dhir Singh.
Mohanjit Singh stated: ‘The meeting was very successful in raising the awareness of the issues with Ashley Fox and he was shocked to hear about Indian politicians and the actions of the police. He was concerned Sikhs is Punjab were either unable or unwilling to raise concerns about human rights violations and said he would speak to colleagues and other MEPs to take the matter forward in Europe.’
BRIEFING FOR UK MEPs– ASHLEY FOX:
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.