October 25, 2013 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
Ludhiana, Punjab (October 25, 2013): Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, on October 23 addressed an election rally at Rajasthan where he levelled allegations of inciting communal violence on Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP). In this speech he made mention of his “pain” over the assassination of his grand-mother Indira Gandhi and his father Rajiv Gandhi. His grandmother and former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, was assassinated by two Sikh bodyguards named Bhai Beant Singh and Bhai Satwant Singh. Indira was killed because she had ordered armed attack on sacred Sikh shrines in which Akal Takht Sahib was destroyed by the Indian army with canon shots and thousands of Sikh devotees were massacred; while Rajiv Gandhi was supposedly assassinated by LTTE, a Tamil group who was fighting for separate Tamil state in Sri Lanka.
Rahul Gandhi’s speech has started a debate in political circles, with BJP defending itself and accusing Congress for triggering killings of innocent Sikhs in 1984; and the Sikh body Dal Khalsa taking strong note of Rahul’s statement. Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal), also called Badal Dal, Member Parliament from Bathinda Harsimrat Kaur Badal has shot a strong statement in reaction to Rahul reflecting his pain.
Harsimrat Badal in a TV interview with NDTV has said: “What was Mrs Gandhi doing at that time when she was killing other people’s sons and husbands? What was she thinking? … a place of worship which is worshipped by every Sikh…she goes, gives orders to demolish that place and kill people there. What did she think? She would get away with it scot- free?” asked Harsimrat Kaur Badal, referring to Indira Gandhi’s decision to launch attack on Darbar Sahib, Amritsar and other Sikh Gurdwaras in June 1984.
Sikh Siaysat News (SSN) presents the highlights of Rahul Gandhi’s statement. A video clip of Rahul Gandhi’s speech also follows:
• I will tell my own story.
• Normally at an election meeting these things are not said, but I will tell you what is in my heart.
• Many years after my grandmother’s assassination, I came to know that her killers wanted to throw a grenade on her on Diwali.
• I saw my grandmother’s blood. I also saw the blood of her killers Beant Singh and Satwant Singh. I used to play with those who killed dadi (Indira Gandhi). I was angry with them for a long time after they killed my grandmother.
• I understand the pain of losing someone very close. My father (Rajiv Gandhi) too was killed… Anger over violence is natural but it only hurts common people. The BJP makes use of people’s anger.
• I am against BJP’s politics because they cause harm for political gains. They stoke fires — in Muzaffarnagar, Gujarat, Kashmir. We have to do the firefighting.
• This is why I want India to stay together, stand together. The BJP divides people, but I want the people of India to be united.
• I saw my grandmother’s blood. I also saw the blood of Beant Singh.
• I used to play with those who killed Indira Gandhi. They used to stand by [Indira Gandhi] in guard like my bodyguards are standing behind me.
• I understand the pain of losing very someone close.
• I used to play with the people who killed my grandmother. I was angry with them for a long time after they killed my grandmother.
• Anger over violence is natural but it only hurts common people. BJP makes use of people’s anger.
• One can get angry in a moment, but it takes years to build trust.
• My grandmother, my father were killed and probably I will also got killed.
• On my Muzaffarnagar visit I met Hindus and Muslims. It was a sad feeling,but I must say that I saw the replica of mine.
(Source of video: YouTube – ABPNewsTV)
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.
Related Topics: Dal Khalsa, Harsimrat Badal, Indian National Congress, Indira Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi