Latest News:

Sikh Genocide 1984 » Sikh News

Petition seeks murder case against 4 cops in Hondh Chillar massacre

May 11, 2017 | By

Chandigarh: A petition has been filed before the Punjab and Haryana high court, seeking the prosecution of four Haryana police personnel who were posted in Rewari district when 32 Sikhs were massacred at Hondh Chillar village during the genocidal violance against the Sikhs in November 1984.

A report in Times of India (ToI) notes that four cops against whom FIR for murder, framing incorrect records and other criminal charges has been demanded, include then Rewari superintendent of police (SP) Satender Kumar, then Jatusana deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Ram Bhaj, then Jatusana station house officer (SHO) Ram Kishore and head constable Ram Kumar.

The petition filed by Manwinder Singh, a resident of Ludhiana district, is expected to be heard on May 15, 2017.

The petitioner has sought prosecution of four cops on the basis of the recommendations of Justice Garg Commission that has “revealed the culpability of cops” in the incident. He has referred to the report (para C, page 116) in which the commission had found that entire investigation was carried out in a “slipshod manner”, notes ToI.

Justice (Retd) T. K. Garg visited Hondh Massacre site

Justice (Retd.) T. K. Garg along with genocide (1984) survivor and others at the site of Hondh Massacre in Rewari District of Haryana (File Photo – July 26, 2012)

The petitioner also referred to page 110 of the inquiry commission report, regarding role of law enforcement agency in which it has been held that “lack of fear of police was also one of the causes for the happening of such a tragic incident”. Further, while referring to page 117 of the report, the petitioner submitted that “these cops, during the investigation, have contradicted each other in their sworn evidence submitted before commission”.

The petitioner has also stated that record revealed two persons, Rajbir Singh and Rampal, were arrested in relation to the incident but both were discharged as the case was untraced and no evidence could be collected by cops.

The carnage happened on November 2, 1984, after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. An armed mob had murdered 32 persons and virtually wiped out the entire village. When the incident was brought to light in 2011, the Haryana government had set-up an inquiry commission headed by former high court judge, Justice T P Garg.

To Get Sikh Siyasat News Alerts via WhatsApp:

(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.

Sikh Siyasat is on Telegram Now. Subscribe to our Telegram Channel

Related Topics: , , ,

Leave a Reply