June 13, 2013 | By Sikh Siyasat Bureau
London/ Birmingham (June 13, 2013): It is learnt that the University and College Union (United Kingdom) has opposed the possible execution of Professor Devender Pal Singh Bhullar. UCU Congress has unanimously passed a motion calling upon the Indian government not to execute Professor Bhullar and to remove him from death row immediately.
UCU general secretary Sally Hunt has also written a letter to Indian High Commission and Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
The letter reads as follows:
11 June 2013
Dr J Bhagwati
High Commission of India
Re: Devender Pal Singh Bhullar
On the 10 of May, I wrote to you to express the University and College Union’s concern about the possible execution of Professor Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar.
On the 31 of May the following motion was passed unanimously at the UCU’s annual congress in Brighton:
“51 Stop the execution of Professor Bhullar – University of Birmingham, LSE
Congress notes with dismay:
1. The death sentence imposed on Professor Davinder Pal Singh Bhullar for his alleged involvement in a bomb attack in 1993;
2. The denial of access to a lawyer during his initial detention and trial;
3. The guilty verdict on an unsubstantiated ‘confession’ which Professor Bhullar later retracted;
4. The Indian Supreme Court’s rejection on 12th April 2013 of his plea for commutation;
5. The ‘urgent action’ appeal for Professor Bhullar by Amnesty International.
Congress believes that Professor Bhullar did not receive a fair trial and may be innocent.
(a) To take up Prof. Bhullar’s case with the FCO, the Indian High Commission and Education International
(b) To call upon the Indian government not to execute Professor Bhullar, to remove him from death row immediately, and retry his case in accordance with international fair trial standards.”
On behalf of the 117,000 members of the UCU, I, once again, call upon the Indian government not to execute Professor Bhullar and to remove him from death row immediately.
I look forward to hearing from you.
UCU General Secretary
Copy: Rt. Hon William Hague, Foreign Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Find a scanned copy of the Letter by Sally Hunt to Indian High Commission and FCO:
(1) Save Our WhatsApp Number 0091-855-606-7689 to your phone contacts; and
(2) Send us Your Name via WhatsApp. Click Here to Send WhatsApp Message Now.